Wednesday, May 03, 2006

material girl (or boy)... in a material world...

Been busy with work. And I'm glad. It takes my mind off things.

Now that Word exercises have been completed, we've been given a whole freakin' new set of exercises to do, this time Excel. It's pretty simple, albeit mundane kind of work. Damn teacher. Well, at least this time I have 2 weeks instead of 1 to complete it. So I'll take my time.

I knew from the start that my school is filled to the brim with rich, spoilt bimbos and brats, but today it has been ever more reinforced in me. Kids in my school simply have too much money to spend. In the ladies, I spotted a girl touching up her makeup, Chanel compact in her hand, Bobbi Brown brush in her hand. (I could see cos she put down the brush and disappeared into a cubicle for awhile.) Her bag was this huge Dior handbag, and her makeup bag was HUGE! Don't know what brand THAT was, but it was filled with every makeup essential u can think of! Foundation, blush, concealer, lip gloss, u name it, it's in there. God, and I thought I was overdoing my makeup routine! Seriously, I think her handbag probably only contained that gigantic makeup bag. I sure didn't see any papers or books sticking out of that Dior bag.

Another thing was overhearing a conversation at the library computers. (I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I honestly couldn't help it. The guy and girl were talking like they were all alone in the mausoleum quiet of the library.)

THEY WERE COMPARING THE SIZES OF THEIR HOUSES.

And not just one house, mind u. THREE HOUSES. EACH.

What the hell?! I mean, is that what defines u? A pile of bricks? Seriously! I mean, just because someone chooses to stay in a HDB flat doesn't mean that he's poor!

I remember the lao ah peh in Bedok North HDB estate. There he was walking out of the void deck in a white singlet and striped boxer shorts and bangrah flip-flops. And I thought that his choice of a sweet ride would be a poot-poot scooter. Well, guess what?! He nonchalantly pulled out a set of keys from his pocket and in two toots, got into a fiery red Porshe Boxster (I only know cos my brother was with me)!!! Cool old uncle, man!

See? Maybe he chose to buy a Porshe then ran out of money to buy a huge bungalow in Tanglin Road. See, this is all about Opportunity Cost. When making choices, there's always a sacrifice involved. (Sorry, we're learning that in Econs now, and my teacher keeps shoving that concept down our throats.) Doesn't mean that he's poor, right? People with big houses also aren't necessarily rolling in dough. Maybe buy big house then no more money to eat nice food and buy nice things. Maybe even owe bank money! (Gasp!) Haha. Just kidding.

Sure, money makes the world go round, but it isn't everything right? I mean, if I have enough to eat and drink, and I have my family and loved ones around, and the shirt on my back, I think I would be satisfied. (My Econs teacher doesn't think so. "Humans are fickle. They have unlimited wants. U may say u're satisfied at this stage, but u may change ur mind later.") Well, true. I may be satisfied for now, but I may become hungry for more at a later stage.

And it's not just money and material things that humans crave huh? What about status? Power? Position? We're competitive beings, we are. We humans are wretched things. We always want to be better off than the next person. And we always wish harm against those who have the things we don't. And in the true spirit of the statement "survival of the fittest", we just have to fight others for it. To stand up for ourselves, we sometimes stomp on the toes of others, just so we don't lose out. This is true kiasu-ism.

Well, ur usual daily dose of my rants and raves. Gotta go read my economics notes before I call it a night. (Roar.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home